Gregg E. Thornton
1989, U.S. District Court, Eastern and Western District of Kentucky,
1989, U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
2009, U.S. Supreme Court
University of Kentucky, BS, Agricultural Economics, 1985
Northern Kentucky University, Salmon P. Chase College of Law, J.D., 1988
Fayette County Bar Association
Kentucky Bar Association
Ohio Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Kentucky Defense Counsel (Board of Directors 2004-present)
Born: Ft. Thomas Ky. October 14, 1963
Gregg Thornton has been practicing law since 1988. He is a 1985 graduate of the University Of Kentucky College Of Agriculture with a B.S. Degree in Agricultural Economics. After graduating from the University of Kentucky he returned to his family farm to work his way through law school. His original plan was to farm and attend law school part time and graduate in four years. After the first year however he decided to take summer classes and graduate in three years. In his third year of law school he was accepted into a program that allowed law students to practice prior to graduation when representing governmental entities. It was through this program that he experienced early and very valuable trial experience participating in a two week trial and the successful defense of two firefighters and their department by a quadriplegic plaintiff injured in an ambulance collision. In 1988 he obtained his J.D. degree from Northern Kentucky University's Chase College of Law and successfully sat for the Kentucky bar exam that June with an admission to the Kentucky Bar in October 1988.
After Law School Mr. Thornton continued to practice with the firm he had clerked with until 1990. His practice while concentrating on both representation of plaintiffs and the defense of personal injury cases, also involved providing representation to several cities and school boards which the firm served as counsel. In February 1990 he returned to Lexington and joined his current firm. He has tried over 50 jury trials since becoming a member of the Bar. In addition he has lectured before various organizations and clients on trial practice, evidence, and Kentucky law related to the insurance industry.
Mr. Thornton is listed as one of the top attorneys in Kentucky, by peer selection, by the Kentucky SuperLawyers publication.
In 1986 Mr. Thornton married Paige Parsley a native of Lexington. They are the parents of three Children a daughter Hillary, and twin sons Clay and Chase. He has served as a basketball, baseball, and soccer coach and more than anything enjoys spending time with his family. Mr. Thornton is active in his church having served as Chairman of the Finance Committee, and Chairman of the Deacons and Trustees. He currently serves as the Chairman of the Board of the Lexington Christian Academy and the Treasurer of the Board of the Cardinal Hill Rehabilitation Hospital.
- Bachman v. Locke, (1996) United States District Court E.D.Ky. at Lexington, 974 F. Supp. 1010
- Jackson v. City of Allen (1996) United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1996 U.S. App. Lexis 30879
- Marquichetta Powell v. Jacor, (2003) United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 320 F3rd 599
- Griffith v. City of Georgetown, (2003) Kentucky Court of Appeals, 2003 Ky. App. Lexis 161
- Baker v. Andes, (2005) United States District Court E.D.Ky. at London, 2005 U.S. Dist. Lexis 43469
- Ruffing v. Movie Gallery, (2006) United States District Court E.D.Ky. at Ashland, 2006 U.S. Dist. Lexis 40901
- Waterfill v National Molding Corporation, (2006) United States District Court E.D.Ky. at Lexington, 2006 U.S. Dist. Lexis 19257
- Waterfill v National Molding Corporation,(2007) United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, 215 Fed. Appx. 402; 2007 U.S. Lexis 3056; 2007 Fed App. 0096N (6th Cir.)
- Carmical v. Bullock, (2007) Kentucky Court of Appeals, 251 S.W.3d 324; 2007 Ky. App. Lexis 257